The Process to Join the FEC
The first step in becoming an FEC Community is to contact the FEC Secretary: email@example.com
The FEC Secretary will help guide you through the process.
The Secretary will send you information and a questionnaire to fill out.
You will then be invited to come to our next FEC Assembly and meet members of our communities.
The applying community:
- Expresses interest in FEC membership.
- Receives a package of written material from the FEC explaining what the FEC is about, the membership requirements, and the application procedure.
- Sends back to the FEC:
- written information describing itself (e.g., bylaws, behavioral norms, membership criteria, outreach material, etc.);
- some collective binding agreement, with a defined process for changing that agreement, that represents a written affirmation of the FEC's seven basic principles;
- a response to the FEC Questionnaire.
- Is approved to become a Community-in-Dialogue with the FEC.
- Develops and maintains an active relationship with at least one FEC community through activities such as visiting or labor exchange, written communication, attendance at conferences, or other forms of sharing.
- Attends at least one assembly prior to the one at which it formally applies for membership.
- Is visited by a designated representative of the FEC.
- Comes to the next assembly, formally applies for membership, and receives an answer at that assembly.
Note that steps 1-5 may occur in any order and that at any point in the process prior to attaining membership, a community may apply for Community-In-Dialogue status.
In the above process the FEC Assembly takes the responsibility for designating a representative to handle correspondence with an applying community, including sending the written materials required in step 2, and for designating a representative to visit that community, as set out in step 6.
Consensus of the existing FEC communities is necessary to accept a new group. Once accepted the new community is granted full member rights and privileges from that point on.