Member Handbook - 1998

Shared by Twin Oaks Community
Tags: Newcomers, Community Life, Behavioral Expectations, Health

Member Handbook
Twin Oaks

Member Handbook TO-E4


The purpose of this New Member Survival Handbook is not to be a thorough reference about Twin Oaks, but to have just enough of the right information to make living here a little easier. It can be very hard to be a new member here. It's difficult to be a new person anywhere, and it takes time to make connections and find people whom you trust and are compatible with. Some members had a fairly smooth new member period, but had difficulty later on. Sometimes members want to get to know visitors, but figure they've already met the new members and the new members will be here a long time so why go out of the way to talk to them. The people at Twin Oaks are very diverse and Twin Oaks is always changing. Besides getting to know everyone (which you will) and finding some close friends (which you may or may not), getting your work situation the way you like it will be the thing that makes life pleasant here. But don't expect to find the perfect job, close friends, hot sex, a nice room, or to understand the system right off the bat. Don't believe everything you hear (or read). Different members have different realities (opinions), so get a second opinion if its important. Usually the manager is the best source of information.

Hopefully, this manual will make life easier for you, but when you have questions about the cash transfer book, or how to pay gas for an automobile, or whatever, don't hesistate to talk to the manager of the appropriate area.


Our address and phone number 3
Requirements for full membership 3
Restrictions on provisional members 3
Tour of Twin Oaks 3
Harmony: Commie Clothes, House closet, Health closet 3
Woodshop 4
The Office - vehicle sign out, money, TORs 4
Computers 5
Storage Places 5
Health Office 5
ZK Lounge - labor policy notebook, 5
culinary sign-up, labor master, people finder,
preference cards, New Member Info notebook,
Membership notebook, Twin Oaks Policy notebook 6
Kitchen - K-shifts 6
Emerald City, Nature 7
Vehicle Use 7
Bicycles 8
Electric Carts 9
Labor - New Member Hours, Overquota, Things to Remember 9
Courtesy 11
Your Room 11
Getting it on 11
Guesting 12
Holidays 12
Helping Out 12
Finding Work 12
Avoiding Exhaustion 13
Economic Planning - Trade-off games, OTRAs 13
Phones - your code, transferring calls 13
Register to Vote 14
Weeds and Knots 14
Easy Course in Twin Oakese 14
How to be a Long Term Member 15
Health Section 17
Glossary 27
Behavioral Norms 32


On the wall near most phones are the directions on how to get here. The road numbers go in ascending order: 64, 605, 646, 697. You may want to memorize this handy information if you haven't already:

Twin Oaks
138 Twin Oaks Road
Louisa, VA 23093

The area codes in Richmond and Charlottesville are both 804. Morningstar and Tupelo both have outside lines.


Hopefully, by now you've taken care of any debts, pets, assets, and needed medical work and perhaps even gotten an HIV test. At the end of your six month provisional membership your labor balance and hammocks balance need to be zero or above. If you don't keep them above zero, then your six month poll will only give the options of extend or reject for people voting for you. An extension is an extra three month period in which you won't receive the illustrious benefits of being a full member at Twin Oaks. You can overspend your allowance, but don't because there will eventually be a penalty. The rest is pretty much up to you. A poll will go out to the community, but if you aren't going to pass, you will most likely already be aware of it. So if you're the average member and fit right in, all that worrying you're doing is unfounded.
As a provisional member you can't vote on full-membership polls, but you can input on visitors and are encouraged to do so. You can also be a manager. You can express your opinions in meetings, O&I papers, notes to managers, planners, etc. Just remember that jumping in with both feet but without much information, history, or firsthand contact with the people here can have the effect of causing a splash you hadn't anticipated. A bit of advice for early on is to read papers, talk to people, ask questions, and remember there's lots of time to feel out the scene and become fully involved in decision-making and input-giving on all levels. Still, if you really need to say something and are prepared for a response, go ahead.


Of course you went on a tour as a visitor, but just in case you forgot or haven't been there yet, I'd like to point out a few places you might want to go.
First there's commie clothes (CC) in Harmony where you can find all sorts of wonderful things to wear. As a visitor you weren't allowed to wear commie clothes so I suggest you spend a little time up there and get familiar with what's about. There is a map on the wall. Keep looking, there are actually some very nice things there and you may be able to find one in your size. Please put things away when you are done looking. When you are done wearing something from CC, put it in the laundry baskets downstairs. There are also yarn and fabric notions there that you can use.
So what do you do when your shoes wear out and you can't find any in commie clothes? First, look in commie clothes, then, talk to the manager, there may be some money available for you to buy a new pair. CC will also help pay for underwear, bras, other stuff, but ASK FIRST.
You can get credit for doing your own laundry! The rate for washing and drying clothes using the gas dryer is 0.2 labor credits. If you use the clothesline it's 0.5.
Also in Harmony, in the bathroom by the washing machines, are clean towels. Between the laundry room and the living room is the House Closet. There should also be a place in your SLG for cleaning supplies, towels, first aid, etc.

It's wonderful to live with the nice Woodshop that we have and be able to make marvelous projects in our "free time." You should talk to the shop manager before the first time you use it because there are some tools with special needs that you will want to become familiar with first. Try to leave it neater than you found it. If there's a problem with any tools, tell the shop manager and also leave a note. If you need wood for a project, look under the table where the radial arm saw is mounted. For larger pieces, look in the racks of the lumber storage shed on the other side of the clothesline. There are some personal stashes of wood there so don't take anything with a name on it. There is also wood in the tobacco barn. If you ask an EC worker, or a woodshop regular they may be able to turn you on to some other stashes as well. Then when you're done, label your project so that you have a reasonable chance of finding it again and put it out of the way.
Be careful. Especially with the table saw. Dianne cut off part of her finger there, Jen part of her thumb. I've been hit in the chest with a big piece of wood as have Kana and others. Most woodshop accidents happen when the worker is tired or in a hurry, so don't work under those oppressive conditions.
Across the courtyard, just south of Llano is the compost cafe. Smokers should know that there are only three inside spaces in the community where people can smoke: the compost cafe, various parts of Tupelo, and the smokers lounge in ZK. Please don't smoke outside in areas of high traffic or outside open windows. And remember: Keep your butts off the ground!


The phone extensions for the office are 20 or 0. Hours when there is an office person scheduled:
M-F 9-12, 12:30 - 5:30
Sat 9-12, 12:30 - 3:00
Sun none

If you have any trouble with anything in the office, don't be too shy to ask the person questions. Co will certainly help you out.
The vehicle sign-out book is on the counter on the right as you walk in. Take some time to read the vehicle use policy in the back of it. There is more about vehicle use on page 7.
Behind you, on the right side of the counter, is the cash transfer book. You'll use this if you owe someone money, if you paid for something out of your allowance that the community will pay for (like gas, the drivers licence fee, etc.), or whatever. It's pretty straightfoward, but if you have any trouble, just ask the office person for help.
If you need cash, just ask the office person, and they'll fork some over. You can't get cash very easily after office hours so if you're going to town in the evening or on a weekend, or very early in the morning, visit the office earlier and get supplied! If you need a large amount of cash, let an office person know a day ahead of time.
If you need a check, you can find the book over the accounting desk. Remember to fill out the stub. There is a list of current check signers on the cover.
We've got Twin Oaks stationary and envelopes for your convenience and stamps for letters are free. Individuals pay postage for parcels and packages. UPS comes just about everyday. You can talk to a shipper or products office person about completing the necessary paperwork for shipping by UPS.
If you need to buy something from Louisa, C'ville, or Richmond and won't be going to these places, then you can fill out a TOR and the tripper will get it for you. The pink TORs are for if you have something that the tripper needs to bring to town with them like a library book, or the old part that you're replacing, or yourself, etc. My advice (I am a tripper), if you yourself are going in, always talk to the tripper beforehand as well. If you have an early morning appointment and the tripper for some reason doesn't look at the TORs after you put yours in, co might not be ready to go when you need to leave. When you fill one out you will need to be very specific or else you might get something other than what you want. Include the brand name, amount, size, flavor, color, bottle or cans, everything! If you don't want something a little different, then write "no substitutes" or something similar. Do the tripper a favor and call around to locate an item, especially for a C'ville TOR and definitely for a Richmond TOR. To call around for a Richmond TOR you may use the 002 phone code so that you don't have to pay for it. Sometimes its better to wait until you go to town to buy something if its important to you that it be a certain way, but you don't know what exactly is available. You may have a one or two day wait so fill out the TOR early.
There is a photocopier in the back room on the left. If you need help with it, do ask. Use recycled paper if possible. And don't forget to record your usage in the 3X5 box to the right of it.


There are usable computers in a number of different buildings. You may use them all, but anyone who uses one for working will have priority. The computers are :
The Owl is called the Owl because it's a WYSE computer, get it? It is in the back of the hammock shop and is our workhorse personal use computer. It is currently set up with a laser printer, and desktop ppublishing software, a scanner, a modem, and a mouse, among other things. It's a 386 and is good for word processing, and desktop publishing. Its main limitations are in memory and speed, but it is only a problem for big Windows projects. The outreach office computer in Morningstar is probably the most available one in the community. The EGA color monitor is kind of nice.
Demosthenes is our main office computer. It's usually unavailable during business hours and Thursday evenings. It is a 486, and thus very speedy. Try it on weekends. Athena, a 286, is also in the main office. If you just want to type a letter or paper, Athena is the one to use. It is always available for public use. Godzilla Jean and Bambi are in the products office and is pretty much unavailable during business hours. Both are powerful 386 windows systems. Try them after 5pm and on weekends. Cindy, the indexing office computer, in Nashoba, has a sign-up sheet on the wall behind it and you may have to let an indexer use it during indexes even if you've signed up to use it.
Our computer services manager can set you up on our systems, show you how to use a work processor, spreadsheet, etc. Please feel free to ask co for help or for a lesson, co enjoys it! Be sure to back up your own files to floppy disks, and if your directory starts to fill up, move them to floppy disk, or co may have to archive your files to make room in the hard drives.


On the opposite side of the Harmony laundry lines from Harmony are the flips, and bozo sheds. In the flips shed, you can find wonderful things that other people have gotten rid of, like lamps, stereo speakers, etc. In the bozo shed live the light bulbs if you're in the dark. Fans sleep there as well. Peruse and use.
On the west side of the driveway leading up to Llano is the storage barn (if its still standing) which contains things like dressers, carpet, and mattresses.


Here you can find asprin (in case your SLG has run out) and other medicines for your ills, birth controls, toothbrushes, some self-help tapes, and plenty of books. Be sure to lock the door on the way out so children don't go in.


If you have questions about how to fill out your labor sheet, there's a labor policy notebook in the upper left wooden slot in the lounge of ZK. It is an excellent source and a good place to look if you're having trouble.
There are some important times in the week to remember. Your filled out labor sheet is due in the lower left wooden slot in the lounge by Tuesday, 9am. I suggest you look at others' filled out sheets when you turn yours in and you'll see the many variations of filling one out. When there are two labor assignors, revisions may be out early as dinner on Tuesday. If there is only one, they probably won't be out until after dinner Wednesday. If you've changed your plans, or don't like something that you've been assigned, now is your chance to do something about it. If you do have revisions to make, don't change the front of your sheet, write your desired changes on the back. Don't forget to check the revisions box in the upper left corner or the labor assignors will pretend they don't see a thing. The sheets are picked up again at Thursday noon, so make sure your labor sheet is there by that time. Then, after finishing work on Thursday, fill out your labor sheet and figure out what you can req. on your next labor sheet. Then turn your completed sheet in. If it is not turned in by noon Saturday you won't receive the two-and-a half bonus hours of vacation time, which adds up to about three weeks a year. If it is not long after lunch, run down to the office and see if Tigermouse is there, or find Wendy by Sunday afternoon. If you're not late every week, they will probably accept it and still credit to you the hours.

The culinary sign-up hangs on a clipboard right above the labor sheet slots and to the left. If you want to cook or help cook, do Louisa bus, Tupelo serf, or your K-shift with a certain person or on a certain day, then you'll want to sign up here instead of just getting assigned randomly. There is a preference schedule on the clipboard which you can sign, but it doesn't mean you'll be assigned those shifts. The labor assignors consult it when there is a shift left open. You should use it when you are contemplating signing up for a shift and you are wondering whether someone prefers one shift over another. There aren't any set rules about these preference, but some people really can't handle not getting their customary shift, so it's probably easier for all involved to try to respect their favored status. The schedule for Friday's work, called the Friday worksheet, is posted on the same clipboard late Thursday nights and on Fridays because the schedules sometimes aren't out yet. There are also copies in the office, at M*, and at Tupelo. Hanging on the counter right there are the people finder, to the left, for finding out where someone is scheduled to be, and to the right, the labor master, for finding out who is scheduled to do a certain job. There is also a people finder in the office, and there is a labor master in the office, and specialized lessser local labor masters at EC, in ZK kitchen, and on the side of the mild dispenser in ZK snack kitchen.
On top of the counter is a little green 3X5 metal filing box that says, "LC preference cards/crew cards." On your preference card you can write things like weekly activities, in case you forget to write them on your schedule each week and don't want to get work scheduled at that time, jobs you do regularly, people who you do or don't wish to work with, or that you don't want to have anything scheduled before ten, etc.
Just to the right of all the stuff I just mentioned is a page with members' names and their mailbox location.
Below the mailboxes that have a code beginning with A-F or so, there are a number of notebooks which can be a great help to you. Some volumes to look at first are the New Member Info notebood, the Membership notebook, and the Twin Oaks policies notebook. There are other useful and interesting things there so go check it all out soon.
Now, if you go out into the dining room and turn right, you'll see a number of clipboards hanging out. You can keep up to date on your allowance, VE, and vacation, and PFF balances here. The OPP policies are there if you want the last word on what exactly OPP is. There are also minutes to various regular meetings and some other boring stuff, but get vaguely familiar with what's there. You can find allowance, VE, and vacation clipboards in Llano office, as well.
Then, hanging over on the O&I board is a little book called "Thoughts on O&I communication. " It's funny and informative.


As you know, everyone does a K-shift. What you may not know is that you can do Tupelo or Llano serfs, or bathroom cleans instead. There is even a waiting list for Llano serf, so it must be pretty juicy.
When you have questions about what to do on your K-shift than check the K-shift book below the tape player. Don't forget to clean and drain the dishwasher or to refill the milk dispenser.
I would also suggest helping with cooking because it teaches you where food is kept (and there's a lot to know about) and where utensils are kept (making your K-shift easier). If you do cook, remember that there are people here with special diets. You should always prepare "no onion" and vegan options.


There are two other paths up to EC besides Ridge Road that run next to Tupelo. If you get up there when no one else is there you will need to know where the key is kept. Bring a flashlight if you go out there to work and will be coming back at night so you don't have to feel for the post and tree.


There are lots of beautiful flora and fauna here. Some of the potentially dangerous ones include:
Poison Ivy - there is lots of it here. It grows where meadow meets forest. The leaves of this vine are vaguely mitten shaped and the stems are reddish.
Copperheads - poisonous snakes, but not aggressive. Orangeish with diamond-shaped patterns.
Ticks - even if you don't go into the woods you can pick them up where dogs hang out. There are tiny ones called seed ticks which come in huge numbers so scrub your pits and groin with brown soap after a summer walk.
Chiggers - even smaller than seed ticks and itch. Use brown soap in any tight places because that's where they hang out.
Brown Recluses - spiders with a fiddle outline on their back. You don't see them much, but they can be aggressive when disturbed.
And of course Black Widows! If you even see one it's fatal so i won't bother to desribe them here. They like woodpiles and have been seen in MT, the woodshop, and EC.

That's pretty much it for the tour. See the safety manager about flashlights to carry around, but don't shine them in people's eyes. Actually, when it's very dark you can tell where the road goes by looking up to see the stars between the trees. The only way to get up to Tupelo if you live there or to see a fllick is to memorize the way Ridge Road goes. There are various other similar places, and some places with dangerous dropoffs that are very hard to see like the one just past the compost cafe. It will take a couple months, but you will get so familiar with the lay of the land that you can do it when it's pitch black out.


If you own a car, you may want to keep it until you know that you want to stay here for awhile. Give it a bath, leave it in the parking lot, start it from time to time, but don't use it unless you're moving out. You won't want to anyway because we have a fleet of well maintained cruising machines. If, by the end of your provisional membership, you do decide to stay, then you'll have to get rid of it. First see if you can dump it off on one of your relatives or friends because it is very hard to sell a car from here and chances are high that the commuity will not want to buy it.
To drive here, you will have to have a Virginia driver's license. You will need to arrange to go to C'ville to get it although once or twice a year you may be able to get a licence in Louisa. The vehicle-use policies use in the back of the sign-out book. Take some time and read them, they are not very long and it will save you a lot of headaches.
To use one of the awesome hotrods here, check the sign-out book to see if anyone is going the same direction. People often want to share rides in order to share expenses. If you want to go to Louisa, C'ville, or Richmond, you can check the labor master under "bus" or "trips", or in the sign out book for the date you are going. If you can't find someone going the same way then sign a vehicle out in the vehicle sign out book. If it is a pleasure trip, charge it to "allow." If not, find out what area you are charging it to and write that under "what area?" If it is a long distance trip, leave the auto manager a note well in advance. She needs to OK it and give it a long distance check up first. The sooner you inform her, the better. If it is vacation season you may not be able to use a TO vehicle because of competition.
If you don't use a vehicle that you have signed out, cross it out in the book. Someone else will probably want to use it, but, also, if you don't indicate that you didn't use the vehicle, then you will be charged as if you had. By the dinner the night before you will use the vehicle, the vehicle use manager will assign you one of the fleet and you'll need to find out which one you got. You might save yourself some time by calling the office. If you are using it immediately, just sign it out and take whichever one is not reserved (make sure that the sign out book and the magnetic board match) and go look for it in either Llano or MT parking lots. It should be there, but if it's not there check out ZK, M*, Nashoba, or Tupelo parking lots. If you can't find it, probably means that someone took it without signing it out. The keys live on the dashboard or around the stick shifter.
When you're done with it, resist the temptation to leave it at Tupelo or M* overnight. Leave it in Llano or MT parking lots so someone doesn't have to run all over the place at 5am looking for it. Roll the windows up. In the chillier seasons, park with the front of the vehicle facing out of the parking spot so it will be easier to access the battery if it has trouble starting. If you notice or cause any problems with a vehicle, leave a note in the car, in the auto shop, in the auto managers 3x5 slot in ZK, and talk to them about the problem as soon as possible. Even if it is a little problem like the windshield juice not working, or a funny sound, or if you've driven in a pothole. Driving in a pothole can throw the vehicle out of alignment even though it seems to be driving normally.
The charges for each vehicle are on the bulleting board next to the magnetic board. Very local use is free. Many trips are cheaper if you keep track of miles instead of going by flat rates. Write the mileage in the book after you get back.
If you need gas you can pay for it from your own pocket and later reimburse yourself by transferring money from "gas" to allowance in the transfer book. If you are certain you will need gas, you can get money from the office person and charge it to gas. Remember to return the change back to gas. There are also two stations where we have charge accounts.
The sedans and minivans are all non-smoker vehicles. Their ashtrays have been removed and there are little signs in them.


The tobacco barn and the Nashoba bike shed have bikes for riding off the farm. If you would like to use the bike shop to work on your own bike you can, but talk to the bike manager first.
If a Twin Oaks bicycle has a problem, leave it outside of MT next to the bike shop. You don't need to leave any note on it unless it has some little obscure problem that only you will notice and is not obvious.
If you have a personal bike, keep it in your room, in the tobacco barn with a label on it, in the roomy personal bikes strorage shed in front of Nashoba, or in your room so that others don't get envious of your cool possession.
In 1993 three bikes were stolen from the Nashoba bike shed so if you leave your bike there you may want to lock it. The bikes were returned but with a lot of damage and accessories missing.
As a courtesy to pedestrians, ride on the road instead of paths when possible. Especially, go around MT , and avoid the corner of Harmony leading into the couryard. And please don't ride at night.


There are use restrictions restricting the use of the carts. Just don't use them unless you are having a physical problem which makes walking uncomfortable. If you do not want to use one, talk to someone you see regularly using them to find out what the restrictions are one using them. If you have an unwieldly load, talk to someone who moves loads around a lot. There is a wonderful tricycle, a bicycle trailer, and a number of garden carts which can do the job and don't use nuclear energy.


New member hours are just like visitor hours. They are meant to encourage managers to train you for a job which may take more time for training than they would wish to spend from their budget. If you can't use them right away for training, then you could do hammocks over the amount you are assigned. That way you will be in a position to blow off hammocks in the future and do something else uncredible (perhaps training) without risking going in the hammocks hole. It's best if you don't blow your new member hours on helping someone who has a very limited budget, just because the hours won't come out of their budget. For instance, helping someone out in the library, but then, when your new member hours are gone, not being able to work in the library regularly. Use them for checking out work areas that you think you might like.
Overquota is doing things that you weren't assigned. The only difference between inquota and overquota is that since you were assigned work, you still have to do that work. Some of it you might need to blow off. In that case, you might do overquota work, and still not have to do more than quota. But, most of it you won't blow off, and if you were assigned hammocks, then you will go in the hx hole if you don't do those hours. So that means that if you do overquota work, then you will probably have to work more hours than quota that week.
Try to think of overquota as non-assignable and non-back requable work.
Well, it doesn't matter that you don't understand because you will understand by and by, after pestering the new member manager for hours on end and having a labor brainwash and going deep in the hammock's hole because you did too much unassignable work or because you didn't back-req everything you could have...


1)Fill out a preferencec card and keep it updated. These are kept in the little index card box in the lounge. Check other members' cards to see what sorts of things are on them. The labor assignors don't always know when something isn't going on anymore, so if something appears on your sheet that you have discontinued, they probably got it from your card. It also could have been on the crew card. If you quit a job, take your name off the crew card or you will continue to be assigned for it. If you manage an area, please keep your crew card updated.
2)Get your sheet in by 9am tuesday. You may want to write it on your sheet each week until you remember it. If you remember that you've forgotten, fill your sheet out and give it to the labor assignors asap. If you have a full schedule, it is better to turn one in late than for them to assign you things that they will just have to change later. You may want to put the revisions time on your sheet as well.
3)Fill in the date, days requested if it is less than 7, and what you want your labor fill to be .
4)If you back req work, write BR by it in the DTW column.
5)Don't request scheduled work by writing it in the DTW column. Request it in the notes section.
6)Don't completely fill up the notes section and do read any notes they've written to you. It will usually save you a lot of hassle.
7)If you self-req anything on a master, write it on your sheet as well.
8)When you write down what work you are doing, specify the budget and what the work is. For instance you might block off some time and write tofu in it, but on the master it says delivery, packaging, etc....Write in the amount of credit, too. If there is none, write 0.
9)Be clear about your times, especiallyhow long something lasts. Use horizontal lines to block it off.
10)Don't assign yourself more credit than you have time blocked off for. For instance, don't block off a three hour chunk of time and assign yourself 3.5 hours. If you are getting credit for walking to and from EC include that in the portion of time blocked off.
11)It is worse to go OTF and not tell the assignor than it is to say on your sheet that you'll be gone then you stay. It is easier for them to add stuff on revisions than it have to reschedule meetings and jobs.
12)Be flexible. Don't fill in all of your time with shading and lines. We are mostly going to give you meetings which you've said that you want to attend. If your schedule is tight, self req a k-shift. Remember everyone without a health exemption is liable for a k-shift.
13)Do K IIIs. They're not so bad. Sign up with a regular partner on the culinary master.
14)If you know you're not going to want to be assigned some regular work of yours tell the assignor before revisions.
15)The labor assignors post an under-over assigned card when the sheets come out for revisions. If your name appears on it, look at your sheet before thursday noon and if you are overassigned, tell them where they should take hours from so they don't have to guess and by mistake take them from somewhere you won't like. If you are under assigned, the hours that you are not assigned willl come out of your vacation balance.


1)Don't take your sheet away for revisions, just do your revisions in the lounge before noon thursday. And when you put your sheet back, put it back in alphabetical order. You can also go by the small number that has been written above your name.
2)Don't change the front of your sheet on revisions, just write it on the back and it will be changed. Mark the revisions box as well.
3)During revisions the labor masters are left behind the sheets. Check them to see what jobs the labor assignors are assigning, what jobs aren't filled, and, in general, give you a better idea of how the community functions.
4)Let us know the importance of any requested revision. If you are asking for something to be removed because you can't do anything at that time, say so, so that we don't give you a something else at that time.
5)If you are looking for work, check the not assigned before/after revisions card for areas that need help covering their work.
6)Read the open jobs card and sign up for any that you can.
7)Be nice to the labor assignors. It is a very hard job.


New labor sheets are due tuesday 9am
Revisions wednesday to thursday noon
Sheets are out thursday evening
Completed sheets are due saturday noon


You were probably told as a visitor these things, but i will reiterate them. When you approach someone at a meal to ask a question about work, first ask co if it is okay to ask a question about work. Some folks take on the farm vacations and will leave up a 3x5 to that effect. If such is the case, don't ask co any work questions. Leave co a note asking your question, but don't expect a prompt response. If you approach a few people eating together, ask them if it is alright to join them. People frequently have private dates together. It could also be a meeting.
Some people will never answer 3x5s. It is not anything to take personally. You just need to approach these people directly, when your note has not been answered.


Chances are you got a room downstairs m*. Don't worry. Pretty soon people will be moving around or out and some nicer rooms will be opening up. You can check out openings on the 3x5 board , talk to the room assignor and keep your ears alert.
You may know which SLG you would like to live in. If so, get your name on their waiting list.
In your room you should find a lamp, a clock, and a bed, I guess. This stuff came by way of Trusterty which also provides bed frames, mattresses or gutons, bureaus, paint and spackle, but probably not any hours.
Commie clothes provides pillows, sheets, and blankets.
If you want to fix up your room, talk to the manager of building maintenance (BM). You may be able to get some hours and free paint.


When you arrived, you should have gotten a 3x5 slot, a mailbox, a three-digit phone code, this handbook, and a party hat. Also, you should make an addition to the membership notebook by adding a photograph of yourself and either filling out a survey or just writing a little bit about yourself. This book is mostly for visitors to be able to find out who has interests similar to them and to be able to associate names with faces.


What seemed part and parcel of being a visitor suddenly becomes quite elusive as a new member. There are usually few or no other new members who have come at the same time as you and you may feel like you are the only person who doesn't know everybody else. So, what do you do? can find out about events going on by readying the 3x5 board. There are also groups that get together regularly whose schedules wouldn't be posted and who may or may not want new people, so TALK to people. Decided what you would like to do and maybe someone is already doing it. If no one is, someone may be interested in doing it with you. Don't be afraid to post your own 3x5. You could also try pretending you are a visitor.
On the 3x5 board you may reserve the retreat cabin, TCLR, the tipi, the two canoes or the boat. There is a floded up sheet there for reserving ZK basement on a regular basis. There is weight equipment, a pinao, and other musical equipment. Scott is the drum set parent and has some sticks. If you have questions about the electrical equipment, please ask Ted or Scott about it. And whatever you do, don't stick a microphone into the Fender amp! You can sign out the double bathtub in upstairs Oneida by signing the calendar just outside the bathroom in upstairs Oneida. There is a pottery studio and kiln for closet potters, a darkroom, camping equipment, and electronics equipment in upstairs Ta Chai. Upstairs Llano has a massage table, a spinning wheel, a keyboard, and some other cool stuff. There are also two nice tree houses in the woods to play in.
A good way to get to know people is to arrange one-on-one dates with them. In the hx shop or at mealtimes works out well.
One thing to watch out for and avoid is bonding through negativity in social situations which feel friendly but are based on being critical of others and of the system. Also, I (Ted) would recommend not getting involved in a sexual relationship as a provisional member unless you're sure that you were meant for each other. It takes a lot of the little energy you have to spare, you will run into their ex-lover around every corner all day and night, and if you break up, you will see that person all the time, no getting away from the PAIN. People have left over just these things, so consider it very seriously before you jump in with both feet.
It is also a good idea to stay in touch with friends on the outside.


So, if any of those friends decide to drop by, you should sign co's name up on the guest list by the 3x5 board in ZK because other people want to be warned when strangers are in their home, and, if co is not staying in your room, then talk to the room assignor to see where co can stay.


Some holidays that are celebrated here include:
Spring Equinox, around March 21st.
Validation Day, February 14. Cards are made and then, for a couple of weeks they're left out for signing. It's kind of like signing yearbooks at the end of the school year.
May Day, May first, comes complete with May pole.
Anniversary, on June 16.
Summer Solstice, around June 21st.
Autumn Equinox, around September 21st.
Halloween, where everyone dresses up and the children hand out candy.
Winter Solstice, around December 21st.
New Years, with a quiet party and a rowdy party.

We vote on credit for holidays in the trade-off games so id different years we get different amounts of time off for different holidays. You'll get your birthday and you anniversary of arriving at Twin Oaks off.


There is lots of stress here. Just like everywhere in our society, there are emotional issues that people here deal with in a variety of ways. Some members are on lithium, or antidepressants, some see outside counselors, some co-counsel, some do spiritual work.. Some days are good, some not so good. There is depressions, PMS, upset and the like. We give each other slack, sometimes, other times we get involved, through the Health Team or as individuals. If you have any energy to help relieve some of the distress, even in small ways, this would be valuable for the community. Offering a hug to someone who looks like they could use it is often appreciated. Or even if they look like they are doing fine. Being able to tell when someone doesn't want to be bothered is an important skill to cultivate. Ignoring them on the path is the best way to appreciate their feelings.


Some things to think about when looking for work are whether you like to work alone or with others. Whether you want thoughtless or challengin wor. Inside or outside work. Strictly scheduled or flexible. Do you want to work with wood, papers, machines, animals, etc.?
There are a number of jobs that often don't get enough help, don't require much training to do, and can actually be quite fun to do. Some of these are: food processing, garden, laundry, BTU, commie clothes, cleaning, helping the dinner cook, and, of course, hammocks (hx) industry, work like sawmill, cutting and drilling stretchers, oiling stretchers and chairs, running the rope machine, doing the woodwork on and assembling hanging chairs, and making hx. Making hx isn't really so bad. Once you learn an operation well enough that you don't have to think about it anymore, the work can become relaxing and meditative. It will be easier to enjoy music and conversation. You'll find that there are regulars there and that different parts of the day have different atmospheres, so check 'em all out. It is also the best place to catch up on all the important gossip.
If you haven't received your free pair of headphones to use in the hammock shop, then leave the new member manager or one of the hammock shop managers a note, and talk to co and within weeks you'll have your own personal $2 headphones to listen to $15 compact discs with. Outloud music hours are: Tuesday, 5-10pm, and Thursday, 1-6pm.
Other jobs that need more training but are frequently short of labor are: STP, MIDI shifts, primaries, making pillows, and drilling stretchers.
Talk to the managers ad find out what a job is like. See if they need any help; they may want to use your new member hours. There are also job openings posted on the right-hand 3x5 board.
Go easy on your back.


Now, if you still have any time left over in your day and you'd like to spend it working, well, you can always do your laundry (ask the commie clothes manager for the current amount of credit you get for this. As I write this it is 0.5 if you dry on the line and 0.2 if you use the dryer, but by the time you read this it may be very different!!), mend clothes (your own or there's a place in commie clothes where clothes wait to be mended), teaching (anything, for as many hours a week as you want) for credit. You can also answer the phone, and if you have to run around a bit looking for someone, you can take 0.2 credit for it. Of course, you can't assign or backreq any of this work. That's why it's overquota.


One important piece of advice that I can give you as a new member is on how to avoid exhaustion. One of the hardest things you may have to deal with as a new member is working every day, especially if you have a number of jobs that only give you two or three hours a week. Some days you will only work five hours or maybe three, but when you don't have any days off fatigue can creep up on you and WHAM!!! you start crying and you don't know why, because nothing seems to be wrong. Go to bed. Or you do a little work, mayber a four hour day and you feel so tired that you wonder if you aren't one of the lazier people around. This can happen. God to bed. After I was here nine months I still found myself getting exhausted now and then. This is particularly bad for you because as a new member you don't have as many friends as you will have lter, and you probably don't have all the work you like yet.
It's easy to get "overextended" and have too many commitments, so try and learn your limits quickly so that that won't happen. Learn how to say "No". Also, many members find having some scheduled work easier than having all unscheduled work. My suggestion is to take a whole day off every few weeks. Schedule it in the next labor week. But if you're feeling it now, don't wait. Do it now! Your body won't wait. If you have to work a few hours, let yourself know that that's all the work you are going to do and in your mind prepare for taking time off. I would also suggest that this time be totally unstructured. You can work on that project if you want to, but don't schedule it ahead of time. Relax. Do what you want. Sometimes you'll be worried that you don't have the hours to spare because when your six months is up you can't be in the labor hole. Don't worry about it. Make it up later. The worst exhaustion for me was around the third month. You will ahve plenty of time to work you way out of the labor hole if you get into it. (Don't go into the money hole, though). You'll get more used to this way of working, plus, you'll probably be getting work that you like better as time goes on. This stuff doesn't happen to everybody, though.


You've probably heard people mention the trade-off games. In the fall the planners take stock of Twin Oaks resources and then tell the community how much money and how many hours are available for ongoing budgets and for OTRAs. An OTRA is a One Time Resource Allocation. Money for Twin Oaks bicycles is an ongoing budget, whereas money for band equipment would be a one time purchase and therfore an OTRA. Each member creates their own ideal budget and submits it to the planners, who then decide, with this information, the budgets for the following year. The planners tally the results and use their judgment on borderline items and so everybody ends up happy?
There is now a nifty computer program that does your math for you and makes it much eaiser for the planners to tally and I urge those of you who are computer illiterate or detest technology you may consider inappropriate to use the computer to do your trade off game. It will save you a lot of time and save the planners extra work.
Also, if there are any excess hours or money in the middle of the year, then there is a smaller version of this that takes place in the summer called the Mid-year trade-off game. This is mostly made up of OTRAs, but can include supplements to ongoing budgets.

As a new member, you will be assigned a three-digit code to use when making long distance calls. If you haven't, then talk to the new member manager or the phone manager and co will get you one.
The way you use it is to dial a 9 to get off the farm, then dial a 1 and the area code & number you're calling, wait for the tone, and finally dial your three-digit number. If your three-digit number were 001 then what you would dial might look like this:

9-1(703)894-5126 (tone) 001

To transfer calls, all you have to do is press the toggle button one quick, short time (this is called flashing), then, when you get a dial tone, dial the extension you want, and after you've got the person you want, hang up and the two will be connected. If the person that you're looking for is not around and you need to take a message, just flash again and you will be reconnected to the caller.
If you make a call within Virginia that requires dialing a 1 first, but not the area code, then you are making a "short distance" call and there will be no tone for you to dial your three-digit code after. You'll need to write down your call and tell the phone manager so you can be billed for it.
You can also get a calling card from the phone manager for billing calls when you are away from the porperty. Trippers, fairgoers, and travellers use them the most, but other people have them as well.


You can register to vote at the Louisa County Courthouse, Mon.-Fri. 8:30-4:30. It takes about 5 minutes. No ID is necessary but a driver's license helps. You can take 0.5 hours local relations credit, overquota (that is, don't back req it).


If you are looking for some money or hours to help you along with a project, hobby, vacation, a big expense, or the like, then you can apply to weeds and knots for it (them!). Weeds and knots is a cleverly convoluted way of saying 'needs and wants' and is funded by OTRAs in the year-end trade-off game. The weeds and knots notebook is in ZK lounge. To apply you simply fill out an application in the front section of the notebook and then when weeks and knots has their next meeting, they'll see about funding your request. Try it, you'll like it!

by Ted

Yes, you, too, can sound like a real Twin Oaker with just a few easy lessons in Twin Oaksese.

First, of course, you must learn to use the word "co". Yes, it means "her", "he", "she", and "him", but most handy of all, you can use co any time you would like to say the word "it". In fact, you could use co in just about every sentence to let everyone know just how politically correct you are. As in:

Looks like co's going to rain today.
Look at that bug! Co sure is colorful.

Now, picture yourself sitting next to a longtime member in the lounge at ZK, there's an awkward silence, no one knows what to do. No problem. Just talk about the weather! Some handy phrases that are useful no matter what the weather is realy doing outside are:
I hear that the weather is going to stay the same for awahile.
I heard that it's going to get warmer in a few days.
Some weather we're having, huh?
Or if they're Canadian ...
Some weather we're having, eh?

And when things are getting quiet and you would like to get everybody talking, just start repeating, over and over:
I'm tired, I'm cranky, and I don't like the government!
Everyone here knows and loves this chant and will join in immediately. Some clever variations are:
I'm tired, I'm cranky and I don't like the president!
I'm tired, I'm cranky and I don't like the peppermint!
The possibilities are endless so come up with your own!

If you still feel like the new co, use more Twin Oaks specific words like:
Backreq, overquota, Belize, trapeze, conference site.
Snarky, serene, not OK.
Anytime there are two people together, ask them if they are having a meeting.

A good trick to learn is to sprinkle lots of acronyms into your speech:
The CPs are in TCLR.
The CVP got LC's at ZK for helping the CB do BTU for PSCs.
Doing OPP for the FEC at MT was OK.
My SLG is the STP.

Don't forget to pepper your speech with words like "far out", "groovy", "peace", "love", and "wow!"

But the real test as to how long people will think you'be been at Twin Oaks is whenever someone asks you to do anything, just answer "yes", and then don't do it.

So try and learn to use these easy concepts for your everday conversations. People will think you've lived at Twin Oaks all your life, and so will you!

by Keenan

The time to think about being a long term member is while you are a new member. Once the seeds of siddatisfation have taken hold, it is difficult to reverse the process. It is a lot easier to prevent the onset of dissatisfaction.
Twin Oaks is a very easy and pleasant place to live. One can quite comfortably live on'es entire life here in comfort as well as have pleasant company, challengin work and live with people who have a higher consciousness than most.
Yet many people leave. So something must be wrong.
There seem to be two main reasons why people leave. One is that they burn out one the frustrations for living with a large group of people in such close quarters. The second is that there are some things that people can't get here that they can get on the outside. Things like schooling, a particualr career, a particular mate, a particualar climate, etc. Sometimes nothing can be don'e about the second, but there is a lot that can be done about the first.
People who manage to live here a long time have methods for dealing with the frustrations of group living which allow them to continue to live here happily. There are three key bits of information that have helped me and may help you:
1) Your life is under your control here. The only absolute demand placed on you is that you make quota. There are also the behavioral norms at the end of this handbook. All other demands you place on yourself. Of course, getting in touch with your own real desires is the hard part.
2) Twin Oaks is always changing. Even one person can affect the directions that Twin Oaks moves in.
3) Trust the people who live here. Expect to cooperate and compromise with the group and to trust the group's judgment.
Few things in our culture prepare us for living cooperatively in groups. The mainstream culture gears us for competition and reqards individual success. It should come as no surprise then that we find it difficult to live cooperatively. Twin Oaks doesn't yet have an education process to teach cooperation so each member must learn it on co's own.
Most of our decisions involve consulting with someone. Sometimes the someone is the whole community, sometimes it is a small group, or one other person. The decisions that we make as planners, managers and individuals affect the rest of the community and so the rest of the community must be consulted.
We must take care of each other in many different ways. Each of us creates burdens for each other. Fixing a tool that you yourself accidentally dropped seems less frustrating than fixing a tool that someone else dropped. Cleansing someone else's dishes rather than your own may seem very frustrating. Having a good attitude about fixing and tidying and cleaning up after other people definitely makes it easier to live here. Others are cleaning up after you as well.
We all have different standards of cleanliness. Cleanliness issues are frequently a source of persisten frustration for some people here. Lowering one's standards is the easiest way to deal with it. Another is to live and work in spaces that have less traffic and are more controllable and then put lots of energy into maintaining those areas.
There are always a few people who won't clean up after themselves. This is true. Accept it. In every area of the community one must clean up other people's messes. Education and nagging might help some, but won't cure the problem. Unresentfully cleaning up after a few other people is the best we can strive for.
Twin Oaks is a small society and we can't do everything. Many times in the past there have been people who wanted something that wasn't currently available here, but when they asked, the opportunity was create. (Things like taking classes, vocational training, getting a particualr trip funded, a musical instrument). The first step toward getting something that isn't here is to try to figure our how to create it, or creat some of it here at Twin Oaks. It could take years if it's a big project, but, still, it might be possible.
If there are things thatyou want that clearly can't happen here, it can be helpful to think of all the costs that would go with that opportunity and to choose to not want to pay those costs.
Twin Oaks is a safe place for playing with your definition of self. It is possible to be different people here, so take the opportuniry. Behave differently than your past patterns dictate. Wear strange clothes. Work in unusual work areas. Practice different patterns of communication. Change you name. All these lead to different ways of viewing ones self and they can lead to dramatic personal growth. There is often a lot of support for people who try to break out of old patterns.
If it comes to the point where you are feeling burnt out and feel a need to leave, try retreating within Twin Oaks. Quit readying the O & I board. Avoid gossip. Stop going to planner meetings. Give up your stressful managerships. Put up a note saying that your are burnt our and are aboiding responsible positions. Spend more time relazing and goinf for walks. Do LEX at another community. After a while, a few months, perhaps more, you will feel reenergized and ready to gently re-immerse yourself into the community.
Complaining doesn't bring about positive change. Don't let other people's trips make you feel that you don't belong here. We are a diverse group.
Make a career and/or life plan here and follow it. Living here is a great opportunity to learn more about yourself, your likes and dislikes, your wants and needs. If you're like me, you'll find that you don't really know yourself as well as you think.


Once you read this you will know more than most members do about what is available here in terms of health care. (This was last updated April, 1993).
Twin Oaks Comunity offers low-cost health care. All full members usually qualify for indigent health care because of our tax bracket. Members who earn high VE may not qualify for indigent care and therefore the community will need to pay extra money for their health care. We do not know where the line is for falling below indigent care, but all we can say is to keep in mind that the community pays more for your health care if you earn a lot of VE. New members who earned more than what we as individuals earned in the previous year are likely not to qualify for indigent care for one year. (It is around $5,550 a year thinks Ted the tax filler outer.)
In order for everyone to receive community-funded health services, low-cost non-private health care is generally the norm. The community chooses to offer the least expensive health care so that we all can receive equal health benefits. The community has not yet funded the health budget for private health care being an option for any health need. The trade-off would be having very little extra-spending money (OTRA's). It seems the community has not yet stated that it wishes to make such a huge financial trade-off. If the community votes on the trade-off game to not increase the budget, the community is saying that low-cost health care should remain the norm. The community has not yet pushed for using our savings for private health care either, therefore the HTM's position is to set financial limits under what the community allows us to spend year-to-year.
The hospital we use under indigent care has its advantages as a teaching hospital with student resident starf who may take more of an interest in you and your case. Some members believe the quality to be high and satisfactory--with the avialavility of state-of-the-art medical equipment.
Sometimes low-cost public health care is not high quality. Members who have moved here who were used to receiving higher quality care before living here will need to adjust to this. It's not at all Twin Oaks' preference to have this kind of care, it's just all what the U.S. Government offers to individuals who fall under indigent status.
Twin Oaks cannot afford to buy individual health insurance. We consider ourselves to be "self-insured" for a health catastrophe under our PEACH plan which we share with two other communities of the Federation.
The Health Team suggests to people who make a special (more costly than what we nromally offer) appointment request(s) for a medical problem, to go through the route we usually recommend to everyone for that type of problem. If what we offer cannot help you with your need, we will consider another option for you which does not fall way beyond outside our budget range. It is part of the HTM's responsibility to set appropriate limits on when private doctor visits are acceptable.
We encourage the community to be self-sufficient in their health care. Hildegard has made lots of herbal remedies which members have found to be beneficial in curing and relieving their illnesses. Logan has many homeopathic remedies which have also been gaining popularity among members. Before requesting to rush off to the doctor for a medical problem, please try to make an attempt in finding on-the-farm remedies. We won't guilt-trip you if you already made an attempt and believe that seeing a doctor is necessary. To improve our ways in being self-suffieient in health care at Twin Oaks, please support the Health Books and Tapes OTRAs on the trade-off game. Most of our material is dated. We need up-to-date material on preventative health care and home remedies. It's helpful to have a good health book on hand when in need.
Dental is a spearate area from the Health budget. The current dental manager is Cassie who will arrange dental appointments and answer dental questions.
A Copy of this health section will be kept in the HTM Policies and Information notebook in the ZK Lounge and a copy in Aurora for visitors to read.
This health policy and information paper includes the following:

1) How to Arrange an Appointment
2) Beneral Medical Options & Information
a) University of Virginia
b) Charlottesville Free Clinic
c) Josi in Louisa
d) Homeopathy on-the-farm
e) Medical Emergencies
f) OPP for Health
g) Bartering for Private Services
3) Specific Medical Treatment Options & Information
a) Counselling
b) Chriopractic Care
c) Eye care
d) Gynecology
e) Physical Exam
f) HIV testing
g) STD testing
h) Mammogram
i) Sterilization
j) Abortion
k) Flu Shot
l) Cholesterol & Blood Pressure Screening
m) Pregnancy
4) Child Health
5) DOC Hours
6) CARE Credit for Assistance
7) Insurance Policies
8) Doctor Feedback Forms
9) Full Members Reverting to Provisional Membership
10) Health Care for Members of Vacation
11) Provisional Membership Policy
12) Visitor Policy


If you need to arrange a medical applintment, leave a note specifying your reasons in the Health Team 3 X 5 slot. For a quicker response, leave your note in the appointment-makers slot. (This does not apply to emergency situations). All doctor appointments need to be approved by the HTM or a team member. We like to keep record of how many appointments are being made with each doctor/clinic. So always leave us a note even if you received a verbal approval. Any appointments not approved by the team or an HTM member will be charged to your allowance. The app't maker will offer assistance in directing you to the doctor/clinic who charge the most reasonable fees. We are familiar with which ones are most popular among members.
Please, even if you know how to go about making your doctor appointment, inform the team that you need to arrange your appointment and are seeking approval. We rarely turn down medical appointment requests unless they fall out of our budget range. Of course, we would never deny a member surgery.
Hildegard is currently the HTM appointment maker. She will assist you in finding the proper doctor/clinic and will be willing to help you when you call to arrange your appointment. She prefers you leave a note in her personal slot so she can respond to your need as soon as possible. Kat handles health bills--talk to her if you have any billing problems or questions.


Twin Oaks provides several medical options for community members. The HTM encourages members to seek the least expensive health care that will meet their needs. When making an appointment (or consulting with the appointment maker) please try and utilize the less costly health options.
If you need to see a doctor for an infection, a contagious illnes which requires immediate attention and care, or a contagious injury which may not require going to the Emergency Room, we recommend seeing Josie in her office in Louisa. Casber can check you out to see if a doctor's visit is needed.
You will need HTM approval for visiting any doctor's office.

a) UVA--The University of Virginia Hopital in Charlottesville is another option. The HTM recommends UVA for seeing specialists. It is free because of our tax bracket. The benefit of UVA is the large number of specialized clinics. (See the UVA Ambulatory Care Services guide on the HTM Bulletin Board). A drawback is that some clinics may not be able to schedule an appointment for you very quickly due to their crowdedness.
When making any appointment at UVA, metion that you are making a "blue card" appointment--this is also sometimes called a "clinic appointment". UVA Clinics keep your medical records on file in whichever clinic you had each appointment with. When making an appointment at UVA take into consideration the day of the week and schedule it during C'ville tripper hours. See the Health Trips Policy for more info about trip scheduling.
All medications prscribed through any UVA clinic must be purchased at the UVA Pharmacy. It is much, much cheaper.
BLUE CARDS--This is a card you will need to acquire for all UVA appointments. Ask the health bill payer, to give you
1) A copy of your most recent tax return and
2) The community information letter and
3) The community letter which proves you live here.
Take these with you--they may or may not want to see them. For any appointment at UVA you;ll need to check in at the clinic you have an appointment at, then register at the Blue Card desk. Prior to your appointment you must go through a screening at registration. Do not tell them any outside joint accounts you may have and do not mention anything of your member loan (if you have one) or community savings. There you will be given a Blue Card that will be valid for one month to a year.

b) CHARLOTTESVILLE FREE CLINIC--This is an alternative to UVA for general medial services. The clinic is not open during tripper hours therefore people who would prefer using their services must find a ride at their own personal expense. Health will not pay for a private trip to the Free Clinic because services provided through UVA during tripper hours are available to us at no cost (each private trip to Charlottesville costs Health $18.00). This clinic is a non-profit organization created to provide high qualtiy medical care to local folks at no cost to the patient. The clinic is run by local progessional volunteers. They provide health care for adults and children but they do not provide continuity of care, so if you want to keep your health records together, go to UVA instead.
The clinic currently provides services that regular physicians offer, such as complete physical exams along with basic lab tests, treatment for minor trauma or uncomplicated infections, and a pharmacy which dispenses free medications. Each patient will receive follow-up attention to ensure their continued well-being. Appropriate referrals will be made for long-term care or care for complicated problems (referral will most likely UVA) so please do not visit the clinic if you fall into this category.
Unfortunately, the clinic is only open two nights a week, (not during tripper hours) on Mondays and Thrusdays. They provide walk-in services from 5-6pm. Scheduled appointments take place from 6-9:30pm. You'll need to arrange for your own ride if you'd rather go to the clinic instead of UVA (at your own vehicle expense). However, if you can find two other people besides yourself to carpool to a health appointment, health will consider fully funding this trip only if asked in advance. Physical exams need to be scheduled for in advance as do gynecological exams. The clinic is not as crowded as UVA. You will not need to bring any identification or tax status information. Just let them know that you do not own any health insurance and that you qualify for indigent care at UVA.
The clinic also offers education classes on topics such as weight-loss, stress reduction, living with diabetes, etc. Schedules for these classes will be posted on the HTM bulletin board as soon as we receive the information.

All appointments with Josie must be ok'd by the HTM. We see Josie as a consultant. We do not consider her an affordable option for repeated visits regarding a specific problem or for routine health exams. Services will be made available soon. If you are interested in seeking counselling through the clinic, they will need to assess your need and make a referral (you can't just call up and request to be set up with a counsellor).
Future services of the clinic include: dental care, prenatal care, eye care, STD testing and HIV testing
Their address and phone number:
418 West Main St. C'ville
(804) 296-5525
JOSIE IN LOUISA: Ex-member Josie is a local MD. She has an office in Louisa. Medical appointments at her office in Louisa are the most expensive health options for the community. We discourage members from visiting her unless in the case of an emergency or for a health need that cannot wait to be cared for longer than a few days
JOSIE's (Dr. Kincade) office--Louisa Medical Associate 967-2011


Logan offers consultations using this form of wholistic health care. This is constitutional homeopathic prescribing for chronic or acute conditions--first aid and remedies for most anything: Allergies, Colds, Flu, Depression, Aches and Pains, Skin Consitions, Headaches, Earaches, Stomach/Intestinal Problems, Emotional Upsets. Logan will also consult on homeopathic principals for self-care. Homeopathy works quickly on acute conditions, so is good to try before taking allopathic drugs (including antibiotics). In the near future, Logan will have weekly "office hous", but for now will be generally on call for medical needs that come up. For additional brief information about homeopathy, read the Homeopathy pamphlet on the HTM bulletin board.

f) MEDICAL EMERGENCIE--In the case of a medical emergency:
1) Casper is our resident RN. If possible, check with her in emergency situations. She can evaluate this stuff better than most of us. But if you can't find her, DON'T WAIT!
2) Resuce Squad number is 967-1800. It can take them up to thirty minutes to get here. Call only if Ira is not available or if she suggests the need for the squad to transport the person to the hospital. When you call, give them clear directions and designate someone to wait at the driveway to direct the ambulance quickly to the site.

3) Poison Control phone number is 800-451-1428
4) Crisis Intervention Phone Numbers are posted in Llano Office and ZK.

g) OPP FOR HEALTH--Health OPP is designed for people who wish to pursue private health arrangements which are not normally offered under our current health budget. Health OPP meets the same requirements as any OPP and is considered a supplement to the ongoing Heath Budget. A reminder: you cannot do OPP if you are in the labor hole, PFF hole or the hammocks hole. If you wish to do Health OPP please write to the HTM for approval. If approved, you will need to post an OPP request form on the O&I. If you are not able to do OPP you may offer PSCs to someone else to do the units for you (remind them that working OPP will not add to their hammocks balance). Under no circumstances will the HTM Budget automatically kick in when an OPP runs out of money.
This year, 1993, the Alternative Health OTRA passed. The HTM may approve up to 1/4 of the total cost of your doctor's fee if requested. The remaining 3/4 must be funded through an approved health OPP or your allowance only.
Initially, this idea same out of the desire expressed by many members for alternative health care to be made available. Since the ongoing health budget is not funded to cover the expensive fees which alternative health workers charge, Donna and Sharon came up with the idea of offering the option of working OPP for this kind of care.
h) BARTERING FOR PRIVATE SERVICES--If you are interested in pursuing health care which the community does not fund, you may try to barter for the services. However, if you are bartering our food for exchange of service you will need approval from the Garden and Food Managers. Only surplus foods may be available for bartering. Of course, you can always do PFF if you want to barter our funiture products. Bartering bought food will involve reimbursing those areas with money.


a) COUNSELLING--Counselling is available to all full members for up to six months at a time. Write to the HTM for couselling approval. We advise people to follow-up on any of the suggested couselling options ASAP. After six months of couselling the member needs to check with the HTM to renegotiate if more couselling is needed. Limited couselling may be available to provisional members--check with the HTM about availability.
No credit is available for seeing a counselor.

Current HTM-funded Couselling Options:
1) Region Ten--Louisa or Charlottesville--approximately one month waiting list.
Region 10--Louisa #967-2880
Region 10--C'ville #804-972-1800
2) David Waters--UVA Primary Care--Waiting List time varies. Works as a team with 2 advanced faculty and 3 students. Video-taping seesions are optional. Fees: Standard Blue Card! To set up an appointment, call in the late morning or late afternoon at #804-924-5348
3) Family Services in Charlottesville--Approximately six week waiting list
4) We use Blue Ridge or the Western State hospital for members who are having an emotional crisis which falls beyond what the community is able to provid (24-hour) care for.
5) Mental Health Association--free referral service for private couselling, support groups, etc. #804-977-4673

Other Counselling Options People Have Pursued:
6) On-farm co-counselling--Workshops for learning skills in co-counselling happen one to two times annually. Talk to Rajal for more information. See list of co-counsellers on HTM bulletin board.
7) One-Way Listening. Health Care hours available over-quota for one-way couselling only--maximum on hour per week unless in a crisis situation where more may be available. Only the listener may claim the credit. Check with the HTM about this. A card is posted on the HTM bulletin board listing folks who are available for one-way listening. No credit may be claimed for 2-way sessions.
8) Barters with private cousellors--offering skills in exchange for counselling, trading products for couselling. See section on Bartering.

b) CHIROPRACTIC CARE: We currently use the chiropractic services of Dorine Seaman in Louisa at Bax R Us. Chiropractic care is for folks who have ongoing back problems, chronic back problems, need treatment of injury and for limited follow-up of those problems. You need to get approval from the HTM before visiting. The current chiropractic fee is $15.00/visit, and that is all we currently offer to see any chiropractor.
Health will not pay for chiropractic trips; you will need to go in with the tripper or pay for the trip yourself. Dorine's office is located in Louisa, just past the SuperFresh grocery store. Phone #967-2522. Hours are Mondays-10am-6pm; Wednesdays-12:30-6pm; Thursdays-12-7pm; Fridays-10am-3pm; Saturdays-9am-Noon.
Check with the Htm for an updated list of members willing to give therapeutic massage. Credit may be available for giving a member a massage for treatment of injury at .5 per massage (may be claimed in-quota if needed) and .5 over-quota if massage takes longer than .5.

Getting glasses and contact lenses: New members are expected to get an eye exam and buy their needed updated eye care before coming To Twin Oaks. If a prospective member is aware they will need special eye care, they should designate part of their membership loan to use in their first six months. Memebers who have lived at Twin Oaks for a minimum of one year are eligible for eye exams, glasses, and contacts on a case-by-case basis (upkeep for contacts are more costly than glasses). Htm will pay for lens cleaners. Any expenditures need to be ok'd by the HTM in advance. If a person has contacts and wants to switch to glasses, we will pay for the exam and glasses. The community will buy glasses for people with new eye problems and may consider paying for contacts on a case-by-case basis (since they tend to be more costly).
If needed, health will buy any member (past provisional status) a maximum of one pair of glasses per year, unless the loss of glasses was due to a situation outside the member's control, such as an accident. Health will pay for the lenses and up to $75 for frames. If a member chooses frames more costly than $75 they will need to pay for the difference themselves.
Health will consider, on a case-by-case basis, buying contacts for members who have been here more than 3 years. Such an approved purchase will be put on contract with the HTM if replacing glasses with contacts. Health will consider buying more expensive frames for people who wear glasses constantly but have trouble wearing the less expensive frames.
For medical problems related to eye care, all medications prescribed through the UVA Clinic appointments must be purchases at the UVA pharmacy. It is much, much cheaper.
If you don't immediately need new glasses/contacts you can make an appointment at UVA Opthamology Clinic. The eye exam is free but you may have to wait a few month for an eye exam appointment. You will need to get a Blue Card for this (see UVA sections on Blue Cards). Check-ups and updated prescriptions are required before ordering new glasses/contacts. UVA-Opthamology number #804-924-5144.
If you need an eye exam quickly you can make an appointment (get HTM approval first) with Dr. Wogalter in Louisa. He is more expensive than UVA but he can make an appointment for you right away. Currently we recommend getting frames at Cr. Wogalter's. UVA does not deal with glasses--only eye exams--so you'll need to bring your prescription to Dr. Wogalter's office in Louisa. His prices on frames are comparable and often cheaper than Charlottesville optomotrists. If you are getting contact lenses check with the HTM about where to get them most inexpensively. Dr. Wogalter's number is #967-2949. His office i8s on Main St. and he is only in on Tuesdays and Fridays.
New Members--Health will not pay for new glasses until after the first year of membership, contacts after the third year of membership (on contract), if needed.

d) GYNECOLOGICAL EXAM. Since we inform provisional members to get a complete physical before mvoing here, this policy applies to members who have lived here at least one year. If you need a pap smear and/or complete gynecological exam or an exam for a specific problem, call Louisa Health Dept. (check with the HTM first). You must first request that you need birth control when asking for an appointment there. The reason you need to request birth control is that the Health Dept. offers us a FREE exam because of our tax status. They will only offer this for free if you say you are in need of birth control and present them with your tax form to prove you qualify for indigent care. Your other option is the OB/GYN clinic at UVA. You can also arrange for a full gynecological exam at the C'ville Free Clinic on a Thursday evening. Appt. needs to be arranged in advance. Read section on C'ville Free Clinic in thie paper for more infomation.
If you wish to get fir for a diaphragm or other kinds of birth control, you can arrage an appointment at the UVA OB/GYN clinic or the Louisa Health Dept. Neither offers the cervical cap and we have not been able to find a clinic that does.

Louisa Health Dept. 967-0770
UVA-OB/GYN clinic 804-924-1955

New members are expected to provide their own birth control through their first year of membership if they choose types other than what we stock in the health office.

e) PHYSICAL EXAM--Provisional members must get a complete physical begore moving here. This policy applies to members who have lived here at least one year.
Please write to the HTM for approval. If you need a routine check-u[, you can arrange to get a complete physical at UVA-Medical Associates Clinic. It usually takes 3 weeks to get an opening. Mention that you have a blue card. We encourage members over 40 to have annual routine physical exams.

f) HIV TESTING--A free confidential HIV test is available at the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Dept. in C'ville. We do not offer HIV testing at private physicians offices fue to their high fees. We strongly discourage getting an HIV test in the local Louisa area.
About your HIV Testing process: The test itself takes about 20 minutes. The results take 3 weeks to process. When you get your test, you will be given a ticket with a number printed on it. It is necessary to keep this ticket and bring it back with you to the Dept. in order to get your results. You will not need to bring any identification. Just bring your arm. Regular C'villes DOC hours may be claimed assigned and done to get HIV tested.
Location and phone number for your confidential free HIV test are:
1138 Rosehill Dr.

HIV Testing/Appt is (804) 979-7780

Days and times HIV Testing is available be:
it is virtually impossible for you to get tested on a Wednesday, write the HTM seeking approval for a trip.
For more information regarding understanding your HIV test and AIDS, please read the HIV Notebook available in the ZK lounge and the Complete Guide to Safe Sex available in the HTM Mailbox 3. You can also call the Virginia State AIDS Hotline at 1-800-533-4148.

g) STD testing. If you need to get tested specifically for Gonorrhea or Clamydia, testing is available on a limited basis at the Louisa Health Dept. To arrange for an appointment, call them at 967-0770 and set up your appt to fall within tripper hours. Bring tax information.
If you need to get tested for any other STD (herpes, etc.) you can get a free confidential test a the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Dept. in C'ville. Regular C'ville DOC hours may be claimed assigned and done for getting your STD test. You will not need to bring any identification.
Location for the C'ville/Albemarle Health Dept. is listed above in the HIV section
VD Testing Phone number is: (804) 972-6217
Days and Times to get tested for an STD are:
Fridays 1-3:30pm. These are walk-in hours. An appt is not necessary. STD testing is also available on Tuesdays from 1-3:30pm (also walk-in hours) but this is not a tripper day. If it is impossible for you to get tested on a Friday, write the HTM for approval for a health trip.

h) MAMMOGRAM--Please request HTM approval. Testing is offered through the UVA Womyn's center. It usually takes about one week to set up an appointment. If you are going in for a routine exam, it is not difficult to set up a bynecological exam on the same day at the UVA Gynecology Clinic. PHONE (804) 924-5194.

i) STERILIZATION--If you are interested in getting a vasectomy or tubal ligation please write to the HTM seeking approval. Contracts will be worked out between the individual and the HTM. A likely contract would be that one dollar per day would be taken off the debt for each day co spends at Twin Oaks after the surgery (days spent in the labor hole do not count). If co leaves the community before the debt is fully paid, co assumes responsibility for paying T.O. the remainder of the balance.

A Tubal Ligation is available at UVA-Gynecology (804) 924-1956
A Vasectomy is available at UVA-Urology (804) 924-5176
They will accept Blue Card for these services but we are not sure what the rate is. It is possible that a contract will not be necessary depending on the fee.

j) ABORTION--Please write to the HTM if you are seeking to have an abortion. Abortions can be funded for a non-member if the unwanted pregnancy was caused by a T.O. member. The UVA OB/GYN clinic is our least expensive option now. They require a $100 down payment and the remainder of the fee runs on a sliding scale dependant on your annual income (which means a T.O. member will probably qualify for the lowest as we usually do under the UVA Blue Card rate). The OB/GYN phone number is (804) 924-1955.

k) FLU SHOTS--are available at the Louisa Medical Center during the winter season. Request HTM approval. Fee is around $8.00. Please bring along tax information.

l) CHOLESTEROL & BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING--Available through the Louisa Medical Center. Request HTM approval. Walk-in services are on Wednesdays 8:30-11:00am. Bring tax information.

m) PREGNANCY--Pregnancy Health Appointments come out of the Pregnancy Budget which is overseen by the Child Board. The Louisa Health Dept. has a maternity clinic served by doctors from UVA and MCV on Mondays.


The Well-Baby Check-Ups are a service provided through the Pediatric Clinic at the Louisa Health Dept. (Public Health). It is a system in which a child will receive routine check-ups (including vaccinations) up until the age of five years. They do not offer an initial visit until the baby reaches the age of two months. However, if you wish for your child to be seen at the age of two weeks old you may request from the HTM for your baby to visit Josie. After your initial two-month old baby check-up at Louisa Health, your child will be put on their system in which they will notify you when their next appointment is due (usually every couple of months). They will provide regular exams including immunizations and health education related to the age of your child. To arrange for your initial appointment, call two month in advance. They will send you a list explaining all the information you will need to bring (i.e. tax information, etc.). Walk-in Clinic hours are Wednesday mornings 8:30-11am.
You can also make an appointment on Tuesdays. The Health Dept. services are specifically for routine appointments, they are not designed to provide services for sick children for general medical needs.
If your child is older than five years, and needs to get a routine physical write to the HTM for approval. The UVA-Pediatric Clinic offers complete physicals.
If your child needs to see a doctor for a specific problem, we suggest going the route suggested for adult members (trying on-the-farm resources first, if not beneficial then requesting for your child to be seen by a specialist, or depending upon urgent need seeing Josie).
The UVA Adolescent/Pediatric Clinic offers complete physicals for kids and teenagers in addition to appointments for speciality needs. Phone (804) 924-9130.
The UVA Teen Health Center offers family planning, physicals for teens entering college, and counselling. Phone (804) 982-0090.


If you are planning on going to see a doctor in Louisa, assign yourself 1.5 "DOC" hours. If your appointment is in C'ville or R'mond, assign yourself 3.0 "DOC" hours. This credit covers round-trip transportation time and time spent with the practitioner. If you need to wait for the tripper to pick you up, you may claim 1.0 TRIP for every 2 hours waiting for the tripper over-quota only according to the Vehicle Use Policy (2.0 maximum). "DOC" hours, not "SICK" or "HEALTH" hours are claimed for medical appointments. DOC hours are back-requable but may not be claimed over-quota--meaning one cannot claijm more than 3.0 for seeing a doctor in C'ville. See "Care Hours" in regard to credit for taking a child to a doctor appointment.
DOC hours may not be claimed for seeing a counselor.
Please read the Health Trips policy if you need to request approval for a trip into town.


"CARE" hours may be assigned and claimed (with limits) for those who drive adults or children into appointments, and/or act as advocates for them. Credit may be taken for transportation and acting as co's advocate (if necessary). Credit is available (for transportation time) for bringing needed things to a member being hospitalized. Care credit is not available for visiting a member in the hospital, we encourage people to do this out of the goodness of their hearts. We will make an exception for credit if the hospitalixed member needs a liason who should be checking up on co and communicating back to the HTM and cmty. The HTM strongly encourages members to claim care credit overquota. N-quota is acceptable fore those who have a difficult time working over-quota. You will need approval from the team for in-quota credit. Please use the same hour limits as mentioned in the DOC HOURS policy (3.0-C'ville/R'mond, 1.5 Louisa).
Fully paid insurance policies are capital assets (see Bylaws). Policies that are not fully paid may be continued with the premiums coming out of one's member loan. The community is not responsible for premium payments on any insurance policy unless it agrees to do so. We discourage members from keeping their health insurance (if they have any) when they join because it is not living in the spirit of egalitarianism. Health needs is a sensitive issue and we want members to feel they are receiving the same quality health care as everyone else at Twin Oaks.


We encourage feedback about positive and negative doctor/clinic experiences so that we can recommend to our members the most pleasant health care options. To, we've designed very simple forms for folks to sign out if you get the chance to. They can be found in a folder labelled "Blank Doctor Feedback Forms" in HTM Mailbox. When you complete your form, please leave it in the HTM slot. We will really appreciate all the feedback we can get!


Any full members reverting to provisional membership do not lose any health care privileges from when they were a full member. See "Health Care for Members on Vacation" for more detail.


If you are planning to go on vacation you should bring the following:
Your UVA Blue Card
Tax information
Letters which you present when applying for blue card
"Member on Bacation Health Letter" which basically explains that you live here and
qualify for inigent care at UVA.

Please call home to speak with an HTM member if you need to see a doctor.

About PEACH coverage: A member who is off-the-farm for 6 months or whose vacation balance runs out after 6 months does not qualify for PEACH coverage according to the policy. It will basically be up to Twin Oaks to decide whether we will pay for a health catastrophe for a member who is absent from the community for this long and is vacationing using the labor-hole system. If a member does not return to T.O., any bills for health services administered after co went into the labor hole are to be reimbursed to T.O. if the community has payed them. This applies to anyone whose membershipis dropped, regardless of whether they ever return.


What to expect: Twin Oaks will not pay for pre-existing health care needs for provisional members. This includes doctor visits. We will cover treatment for injury which orrurs during your membership. Under some situations the community will make special arrangements (via contract). If you come with a member loan, it can be used for paying bills for whatever the community will not cover during your provisional time.
Why Twin Oaks will not cover health care for provisional member: HTM figures the community sentiment is that we should only offer full medical coverage for members who have service the community for a required length of time (6 months). The shorter the time someone lives at Twin Oaks the more likely it is they'll leave (not to sound discouraging, but it's been a reality). We cannot afford to treat all the health needs of everyone who comes through T.O.
All other health care needs will be provided (such as treatment for injury, medicine for strep throat, etc.) BUT provisional members need to have a complete physical before moving here.
Twin Oaks will not pay for physical and other type of routine exams during your first full year, as many incoming members do not qualify for the blue card rate Twin Oaks members receive until living here a full year.


Twin Oaks will not pay for visitors' doctor visits unless they need to be treated for an injury which happened on the farm involving Twin Oaks labor (machinery and tools) or an injury caused by our negligence (i.e. cut by glass lying around, etc.).

Okay, that's it for the Health section. Stay healthy!


Anniversary--June 16. The celebration of the fouding of Twin Oaks in 1967. Marked by many ex-members, guests and friends visiting for the occasion.

BP--Backpacker hammocks

BTU crew--The folks that are responsible for keeping the buildings warm in the winter. They move a lot of wood around.

Back req.--Assigning yourself work after you've already done it and bringing it in-quota.

Baker Branch--A group of ex-Twin Oakers and other folks and their kids that live about five miles away in individual homes on a land trust.

Belize--A verb meaning to give someone honest feedback.

C & U Council--Construction and Utilities Council.

CB--Child Board.

Central field--Between the road, the two driveways, and the courtyard.

Children's shelter--A Florr and a roof with not sides located at the near end of the riverfield.


Co-co/Co-Counseling--Also called Re-evaluation Counseling (RC). A peer couseling and therapy method popular at Twin Oaks.

Co--Gender neutral pronoun used at Twin Oaks.

Compost Cafe--Small isolated room in a shed behind Llano used as a smokers sanctuary. Named because origianlly it was built to be a composting toilet which was declared illegal before it was used.

Conference site--The clearing in back of Oz at Emeral City where the Wimmyn's and Men's Gatherings are held.


CVP--Community visitor program.


DTD--During the day.

DTW--During the week.

Date--One-on-one hangout time. Doesn't necessarily impoly physical intimnacy or a primary relationship.

Drive away--A vehicle that needs to be delivered from one city to another. You only have to pay the cost of gas. It's an inexpensive and fun way to travel.

Drop-in--An unannounced visitor. The bane of all communities' existence.

EC--Emerald City.

EW--East Wind Community in southern Missouri. The make hammocks, too, and many Oakers are ex-East Winders. A good place to do LEX.

EconPlan--The one-year projections fo money and labor and how they are to be distributed to best meet the needs and goals of Twin Oaks. This process takes from Oct. to Dec. and establishes the main policies and projects for the next year. There are many public meetings, member surveys, position papers, a traditional trad-off game, etc.

FEC--Federation of Egalitarian Communities. Four or so commuinities that share our values and with whom we can do labor exchange.

FIC--Fellowship for Intentional Communities. This group is made up of several hundred very different communities.

Flame out--to vent pent up anger or frustration, often accomplished by posting an O&I paper, a 3x5, or yelling, slamming doors, etc.

Flips--A method for randomly distributing items that become available to the community or that other members don't want.

Gesundheit--A free, holistic health clinic/community forming in West Virginin that originated in Arlingron, Va. Another place for LEX.

Grabs--Items that most people probably don't want so anyone can just take them, rather than waiting for flips.

Guest--A friend who is staying at Twin Oaks for awhile but who is not in the 3 week visitor program. Co always has to have a host member.

HC--Either hammock chair or hanging chair.

HCR--The chair shop in Tupelo.

HX--Hammocks (sometimes HMX).

High South--Pasture for the cows located on the hill to the south of the old dairy barn.

House--The term used for cleaning--e.g. "house manager", "house closet", "three hours of house".

ICV--Intercommunities of Virginia.

In the Hole--Owing money or hours.

To Juice--To encourage.

Juicy--Enjoyable. Often used to describe work.

Kaweah--Our newest building, just across and up the road from Zhankoye.

K-shift--Cleaning up after a meal. KI is breakfast. KII is after lunch. KIII is after dinner.

LC--Labor credits.

LEX--Labor exchange. Work done by a member of one community while visiting another community.

Lawson land--50 acres of filed crops plus some woods 3 miles from Twin Oaks purchased from the Lawsons. There is also a pond, a yurt, and some wild turkeys.

The Leaves--A newsletter written by Twin Oaks' members about life here.

Live--The proper place for an inanimate object. As in "where does the broom live?"

Lumps--Treat food made from sugar held together by oatys peanut butter, cocoa, and butter. Crude but effective.

MT--Modern Times.

M*--Morning Star.

Mega--Youths between the ages of around 11 to 17 and their caretakers.

Meta--A child up to age 4 or 5, or someone who takes care of a meta child. Comes from the kibbutzim word metapelet.

Midi--A child between the ages fo about 4 and 11 and also the adult who takes care of them.

Mother--A person who takes care of a specific communal object or an area within a managership. Also sometimes called a parent or manager.

Not OK--describes behavior that is undesireable. It was originally used so the the word "bad" wouldn't be.

OPP--Overquota Products Projects. Overquota hammocks industry work done to earn something extra for the community outside of the economic plan. Often earned by piecework.

The Outside--Not here. Elsewhere. The rest of the world. A common shorthand term for the ideas, attitudes and methods represented by the worst of life in the mainstream culture.

Overextended--When someone couldn't say "No," and now has too many obligations.

Oz--The chair and stretcher varnishing building at EC.

PC--Politically correct. Personal computer. Products Council.

PFF--Products for friends. Overquota hours worked to earn products to give away to family and friends or good causes.

PSC--Personal service credit. A method of using your vacation balance to get a message, some shelves built, a guitar lesson, or some other personal service. You can receive up to 5 hours of PSC's in any week. All overquota, of course.

PTM--Process Team.

Pagan Ridge--The ridge south of Llano, so named because the pagan group meets there for holiday celebrations. There is a circle of stones there.

the Pit--The carpeted, sunken floorspace in TCLR, where you can hang out, but not with shoes on or with food.

Primary--Both people in a one-on-one relationship between a child and an adult or, sometimes, between two adults. Can be a verb and an adjective as well. Primary time is from 6 pm until bedtime.

Req--A requisition for someone to be scheduled for work or a meeting. As in "Please req me for that meeting Monday."

Ridge Road--The road leading from MT up to EC.

River Field--The field on the near side of the river, with the volleyball net in it.


SLG--Small living group.

STP--Sewage treatment plant.

Scattered--Mentally confused, disorganized, forgetful overextended.

Serene--Aah, that's the way it should be.

Serf--Person who cleans Llano kitchen, Morningstar, or who cooks and housecleans at Tupelo.

Sewer line--The path that runs from Aurora to Tupelo.

Shannon Farm--A land trust community near Charlottesville where we go and party sometimes.

Snarky--Not very nice.

TCLR--Ta Chai living room.

T.O.--Twin Oaks. Seen on license plates among other places.

TOR--Twin Oaks requisition. Pronounced like "tore." A pink or white slip of paper used to order things from Louisa, C'ville, or Richmond.

Trade Off--A fact of life that all benefits mean sacrificing some other thing.

Trade Off Game--A method of getting a large number of people involved in the economic planning process. Good for showing people the realities of trying to divide up a limited number of resources among a large group of impatient dreamers.

Transition--A period during which a member leaving the community can live here, and is not bound by our property code. Everyone can have two weeks transition and up to four weeks, if they have that much vacation saved up.

Tripper--Person who goes to town to buy things for people who fill out TORs.

Unserene--Not OK.

VE--Vacation earnings. Twin Oaks members can earn personal money while on vacation. There are strict limits on how this can be done. The work has to be outside Louisa County and you have to be off the farm for at least 24 hours to spend VE, etc.

Visitor--Someone who is not only staying at Twin Oaks for a few days, but is in the 3 week visitor program. This term is not used for guests.

Wiz--A whiz. A person who thinks they know how to run things (a manager) at EC or OZ. Short for wizard, as in the Wizard of Oz.

Women's living room--Located in downstairs Oneida, houses the women's library, and is for women only after 6 pm.

ZK--Zhankoye, the dining hall.


GENERAL: Communal living is intense; it's both demanding and rewarding. Three helpful guidelines: be honest, be kind, ask questions.

YOUR ROOM: You do not own your room. If you are away for more than 3 days, it is available to be used by others for the time you're gone. If you are a member, you may ask that your room be used by other members only. Don't go in other private rooms.

Work areas and residences all have their own norms. If you're not sure what they are, ask someone.

If you can't make it to a scheduled work shift, try to get it covered.

Managerships, and other job vacancies, are posted before they are filled. Anyone can sign up for these jobs. We practice equal access. For some jobs, experience or having shown previous interest may be relevant. If you are interested in a particular work area, let people know.

NUDITY: We accept nudity in residences, but are careful about being nude around outsiders, especially locals, which means not being nude in the courtyard or in ZK during the day. (See community policy on clothing optional areas for more details.)

TOILETS, SHOWERS, UTILITIES: We can piss freely outside, but go out of the odor range of buildings in warm weather.

No tampons, condoms, paper towels, or cigarettes in toilets. These things go in containers by the toilets. If you flush this stuff down the toilet, out STP workers end up having to pull them out at the STP.

The norm with toilet flushing is: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down." Use your discretion, being conscious of energy and water use, and lingering odors.

It is encouraged to be conservative with hot water use. Use the solar shower whenever possible.

When the electricity goes out, use an absolute minimum of water. It's expected of everyone to not take showers during this time. Usually we have warning from maintenance people about a water shut-off. We prepare by filling jugs and buckets with water for drinking and flushing toilets in kitchens and residences. Also, do not stoke the furnaces.

ZK/KITCHEN/MEALS: At meal times, take one reasonable serving until time for seconds. Consider taking less if there's not much. Don't take more unless there is obviously plently.

Avoid negative comments or jokes about others' diets or about meals.

Scrape leftover food from your plate into compost buckets before putting your dirty dishes in the bins.

Do NOT put bones, meat, or animal grease in compost. Put these in special buckets on the loading dock of ZK or on a seperate plate in the bus stop area.

We are careful to throw things away in the right place and to recycle when possible. Glass of clear, green, and brown, aluminum, cardboard, non-glossy and glossy paper each have sepearate receptacles.

SEXUAL/MEDICAL/DATING NORMS: We try to be conscious of medical problems, especially infectious ones such as crabs, scabies, herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). If you think you might have a disease, get it checked out, let the health team know (it can be kept confidential), notify your contacts/sexual partner(s) immediately, and avoid infecting others. When you're a visitor, any medical questions or problems should be referred to the CVP Crew, but if you're a member they should be directed to the Health Team. Everyone is expected to be careful to use reliable contraception unless the community has granted approval for a pregnancy. There is information about AIDS in a notebook in the lounge.

We try to be comfortable with the chosen sexual behavior (and most any other kind of behavior, for that matter) of others. Our personal behaviors vary widely. We try to allow and encourage lots of touching that is non-sexual.

It's OK to ask for dates in a friendly, straight-forward way. It's OK to be direct and clear with a person about what you want if you are sexually attracted to co. It's OK to tell someone you're not sexually attracted to co, if that's the case. It's OK to turn down a request for a date. It's OK to accept a request for a date and turn down an offer (or make clear a non-explicit request) to be sexual with the person, if that is what you prefer. We try to be thoughtful and responsible in our relationships. Honesty, forethought, and direct communication is encouraged, in all matters, particularly sexual ones.

It's not OK to continue persuing someone if co says "no" or gives you a clear message that co is not available for whatever you're asking them for at the time. Try to check out what they're feeling if you sense some hesitation or ambivalence.

We try to maintain that all forms of non-exploitative sexuality are acceptable between peers, but not between children, and adults. Some people think that very young children being sexual is something they barely tolerate or do not wish to have happen. Other people think it's OK. As a community, we tolerate most choices, but will not tolerate sex play between adults and children.

PRIVATE ITEMS: We try to use personal resources in a way which doesn't make others envious. We try to share. If we can't share, we keep things private. It's OK to ask someone to loan you something. Often you can locate something by posting a 3 X 5.

COMMUNICATION: Public complaining is viewed by most of us as undesirable.

If you have a complaint, it is encouraged that you discuss your concerns with the person(s) responsible.

Try to avoid gossiping in public. You can ask others to stop if you hear them gossiping.

Some of us believe in giving direct feedback as much as possible. If you want to give feedback, it's good to make it an "I" statement, owning your feelings, and not blaming. It's good to give feedback as soon as you notice there's a problem. You can get help from people if your feedback is charged with anger or other strong enotions, like having an understanding third person there.

We sign all written messages, notes, and comments, and date O & I papers we post. This is our norm for accountability.

Informal discussions in public are generally open to anyone who wants to join in.

In business meetings, visitors are encouraged to observe, but not to participate. Try not to disturb meetings if you are not there to contribute.

Visitors are encouraged to not write on O & I papers. It is OK for visitors to read the O & I papers.

Some folks here do not want to be bothered about business stuff at particular times, especially during meals. Ask first, before launching into the statement or question, "Is this a good time for you to discuss such-and such?" If not, you can ask another time that would be better.

Some cooks have asked that people stay out of their way, which is encouraged, but you can use your judgment about approching them. EC is another area to use sensitivity about interrupting someone, especially if they are using loud machinery. Don't yell for people unless it's an emergency.